Castles in County Cork.
Irish Castles.

Look for other castles in County Cork.

Barryscourt Castle.

The name Barryscourt is derived from the Irish (Barra mór or "Great Barry") signifying that it was the main stronghold of the Anglo-Norman de Barry family who came to Ireland from Wales in 1185 as part of the Norman invasion they aquired a considerable amount of property in east County Cork. In later years a branch of the family built Fota House. The site occupied by the castle has a long history of habitation, evidence of a wooden watermill has been found which is thought to date from the 7th century.

The date in which the present castle was built is not known, the OPW 'Office of Public Works' who own and run the property as a heritage site date its construction as the 15th century. When the Barrymore branch of the family became extint the castle passed to James FitzRichard of the Barryroes 'Barra rua' "Red Barry" in 1556.

During the Desmond Rebellion (1569 and 1579) the castle was partially destroyed to prevent its use by the English army led by Sir Walter Raleigh, the Desmond rebellion erupted again in 1581 but was surpressed, after which the Barry's were pardoned, the family repaired the castle added a bawn wall with three corner towers.

The castle was to see action again in 1645 when it was attacked and caprured during the Confederate War, evidence of this battle remain on the castle walls in the form of cannon ball impacts.

The Barry's may have been dispossed of their property after Cromwell's victory, the next owners appear to have been the Coppinger family who built a house near the castle in 18th century, although no trace of this now remains.

In 1987 the Barryscourt Trust was set up to consery and develop the castle as a heritage site and tourist attraction. In 1990 work began on restoring and rerofing the castle, the interior is now furnished in the style of the 16th century.

Tourist Information
Co. Cork
Tel +353 21 4882218
Tel Winter +353 21 4883864

E Mail
Web Site

Barryscourt Castle.

The castle is open to the public during the summer season.

Location. Near Carrigtwohill, off the Cork-Youghal Road (N25)